Thursday, May 31, 2018

Woah I cannot believe I'm writing this post. I cannot believe I'm writing it while little Nico sleeps right beside my bed.

**You can see our pregnancy announcement HERE,  some frequently asked questions HERE, the story on how I told my parents HERE, and a personal article on body image during pregnancy**

I've noticed I always go back to the beginning. So let's do this: I found out I was pregnant almost instantly. It's like my body knew even before I missed my period.

After telling Gabe, my first decision was to change from an OB-GYN to a midwife. I wanted a different approach to this pregnancy. When I miscarried in 2017,  my ob-gyn lacked touch- his words were " you passed it all" while I was still processing everything that had just happened.

 I started reading how midwifes and doulas are more personable and I don't regret my decision. I found a midwife (or a mid husband as I called him for the past 40 weeks) and Gabe and I really liked him. We liked how he would still delivered babies at a hospital, but the approach was more holistic and modern technology was only used when necessary. I barely had ultrasounds, and  a c-section would be the last resource.


¡Wow! No puedo creer que estoy escribiendo este post mientras Nico duerme a mi lado. Quería compartir con ustedes la historia del día que nació Nico. Prepárense para un post extra largo- especialmente porque siempre les cuento todo desde el principio. Empecemos:

Después de decirle a Gabe que estaba embarazada, mi primera decisión fue cambiar de un ginecólogo a un midwife (como una matrona, pero como era hombre de cariño le decíamos el patrón). Después de mi pérdida el año pasado, quería un trato más personal y me recomendaron mucho las doulas y los midwifes.  Conocimos a Richard, el midwife, y nos encantó su manera de trabajar; seguía teniendo un enfoque más natural pero sus pacientes dan a luz en los hospitales. Casi no tuve ecosonogramas y una cesárea hubiese sido la última opción en dado caso que alguno de los dos estuviese en peligro.

I feel very lucky that my whole pregnancy went by-the-book.  The midwife kept joking that the baby read the manual because everything happened at the exact week it was supposed to happen. For example: I had a little bit of nausea during the first trimester and it instantly stopped as soon as I reached my 13th week.

Around week 32, the baby was already head down. When I went to my Week 37 appointment, I was 1cm dilated and 25% effaced (effacement is the thinning of the cervix). That day, the Dr. said "Maybe I'll see you tonight or maybe next week" and I got so nervous. My parents started changing their flights to Miami "just in case"and you could feel some sort of tension in the air (a good type of tension, of course). We started prepping the hospital bag,  finishing washing the baby clothes and blankets, painting the apartment , and more.

Later that week I lost the mucus plug (don't google it, there are graphic images in the www world- now you are definitely googling it right haha, all my friends did). It's exactly that, a plug made out of mucus that protects the uterus from bacteria. This was another sign that labor was approaching- but again, it could have been that night or a few weeks later!

So week 38 came by, I was now 3cm dilated and 60% effaced. My midwife told me how I definitely have been having contractions but I had not felt a single thing. I was hoping I would be a crazy exception that goes into labor without pain (spoiler alert, this did not happen!!).  He said goodbye with the same words "See you tonight or maybe on the week 39 appointment!".


¡Me siento muy afortunada que tuve un embarazo muy saludable! El doctor decía que el bebé se había leído el manual porque cada semana hacía lo que le tocaba hacer. En la semana 32 ya estaba volteado. En la cita de la semana #37 me enteré que ya había comenzado a dilatar y tenía 25% de borramiento del cuello uterino. Ese día el doctor me dijo que tal vez nos veíamos en el hospital esa noche, que ya era decisión del bebé.  Mis papás cambiaron hasta sus vuelos a Miami por temor a que se adelantara el parto- y no les miento, me puse bastante nerviosa. Arreglé el bolso de la clínica, nos pusimos a lavar la ropa de bebé, ordenar el apartamento, pintar y más.

Esa misma semana boté el tapón mucoso (no se pongan a buscarlo en google que hay fotos muy gráficas y no es muy agradable); pero es otra señal de que el trabajo de parto esta comenzando. ¡Más nerviosa me puse!

Pero nada, llegó la semana 38 y ahora tenía 3cm de dilatación y 60% del borramiento del cuello uterino. ¿Pueden creer que yo todavía no había sentido nada? Mi doctor me dijo que definitivamente había tenido contracciones. Parte de mí quería ser una excepción loca de esas que entran a la sala de parto sin dolor (¡de una les digo que no fue así).

Mother's Day came by, and a big part of me was hoping for an early Mother's Day gift- but nothing. He was cozy in there and I was glad he was making it to week 39.  So basically the same thing happened on my Week 39 appointment: still 3cm and this time he did not mention effacement. He told me how at Week 40 we would have an assessment to see his size and consider induction or wait another week.

Hearing those words made me go into work-mode, I said to myself "no more waiting at home, I have so much to do and the doctor is talking about 2 more weeks".  Right after the appointment, I headed to the mall to get some outfits to shoot. Then I started listing things on Poshmark with the help of my cousin, we shot a look...and I even got a 1000piece puzzle to keep myself entertained.

Later that night, Gabe and I were watching Netflix and I started feeling some period-like cramps.  Since I had not felt ONE THING, I thought it was my imagination. I thought that pain was Braxton Hicks. Halfway to the episode, I noticed they were not going away so I started timing whatever I thought I was feeling ( I wouldn't even dare to call them contractions). To go to the hospital, the general rule is 5-1-1 (every 5 minutes, lasting 1 minute, for 1 hour). When the episode finished, I was having them every 15 minutes, so I knew I had a long way to 5 minutes and I tried sleeping. The pain was getting stronger so I got in the tub (Cellphone in hand to time them. Many of the baby apps I downloaded have a contraction tracker, SO helpful). At this time, they were around 8 minutes apart.  I couldn't believe they were getting closer together!


¡Parte de mí quería que naciese el día de la madre!- pero él estaba muy cómodo y yo feliz que llegara a la semana 39. En la siguiente cita me dijeron exactamente lo mismo, seguía 3 cm dilatada. Así que hablamos de venir en la semana #40 y considerar las opciones en dado caso que el estuviese muy grande o si esperar tranquilamente a la semana 41.

Escucharlo hablar de 2 semanas más fue como un " ¡Daniela, no puedes seguir esperando en la casa...hay que trabajar!" Así que me fui al centro comercial a buscar una ropa para el blog. Luego me puse a vender cositas en Poshmark con la ayuda de mi prima, tomamos fotos, y hasta compré un rompecabezas de mil piezas para entretenerme en plena espera.

Como todas las noches, antes de acostarnos estábamos viendo un show en Netflix y ahí fue que empecé a sentir un dolor parecido al de vientre durante el periodo. Pero como no había sentido ningún tipo de dolor, pensé que era mi imaginación.  A la mitad del episodio me dí cuenta que no se me iba el dolor, fuese lo que fuese (porque ni me atrevía a decir que eran contracciones). Para ir al hospital dicen que esperes a que sean 5-1-1 (cada 5 minutos, que duren 1 minuto, por una hora). Muchas de las aplicaciones de embarazada  tienen herramientas para monitorear las contracciones- intenté dormir pero cada vez me daban más y más frecuentemente.

By 2am, I woke Gabe up and told him to get his bag ready with toiletries and a change of clothes- plus we needed to add things like chargers and the camera. I'll talk more about the hospital bag later, I want to share what I took and what I actually used/needed. Our parents were in Miami but I didn't want to call anybody until we knew it was for sure! We headed to the hospital at around 3am, there wasn't a soul in the streets so we arrived quickly to the hospital. It was so empty that the main entrance was closed and I had to stop a few times just to breathe during the contractions.

When we got to the Maternity ER, the nurses didn't believe me when I said I was having them every 5 minutes. I have a HIGH tolerance to pain and while most women need to kneel, I was filing my forms in the middle of pain. The nurses connected me to monitor the baby and track the contractions- instantly I was told I was 5cm, that the contractions were coming strong, and I was going to be admitted. I was in shock, I really thought I would be sent home. There I found out my water never "broke"- well it did, but my Nico was so low that he acted as a plug. A nurse moved him and there it was! Oh and she instantly told me "he has SO much hair", she was right haha!

They took my blood for lab tests and I was admitted into one of the labor rooms.  Many moms told me that there was absolutely no shame in taking the epidural, to not be a hero and take it. I don't know why my blood work took so long, but they wouldn't give me the epidural until then. I waited for 2 hours; and of course, the contractions kept getting stronger and stronger.  Every time someone opened the door I thought it was the anesthesiologist, but nothing!  When she arrived at 6:30am, I was 7 cm. From what I understood, there wouldn't give me the epidural after 8 cm- so I was right on the line for it! To put the epidural in, Gabe had to leave the room. Many friends asked me if the epidural hurts. Honestly,  I just felt a big relief BUT I went so numb I was a little comfortable.


A eso de las 2am desperté a Gabe para decirle que empezara a preparar su bolso y que añadiéramos lo que faltaba al mío (que si el cargador de tlf). Después les cuento más de lo que llevé y lo que realmente utilicé.  No quisimos avisarle a nuestras familias en dado caso que fuese una falsa alarma. Salimos a la clínica a las 3am- lo mejor de que haya sido a esa hora es que no nos tocó nada de tráfico. Las que viven en Miami saben lo terrible que puede ser la US1 a cualquier hora del día. No había nadie en la entrada de la clínica y las contracciones eran tan fuertes que tenía que pararme a respirar en cada una.  

Cuando llegamos a la parte de emergencia de maternidad, las enfermeras no creían que estuviese en tanto dolor. Yo considero que aguanto bastante dolor y mientras la mayoría de las mujeres se arrodillan, gritan, o lloran, yo estaba llenando los formularios para ingresar. Me conectaron a un monitor para chequear al bebé y ver como iban contracciones. Yo seguía pensando que me iban a devolver a la casa porque nunca rompí fuente (bueno sí, lo que pasa es que Nico estaba tan abajo que no dejó que el agua saliese).

En la sala de emergencia me sacaron la sangre para poder ponerme la epidural. Muchas de las mamás con las que hablé me decían que sin pena aceptara la anestesia, que no me las diera de mujer maravilla- y eso fue lo que hice. El problema fue que no me daban los resultados del examen de sangre, estuve más de dos horas esperándolo y por supuesto, las contracciones cada vez se ponían más fuertes. Cuando finalmente entró al anestesióloga, ya tenía 7cm de dilatación- y según lo que tengo entendido, a los 8cm ya no ponen la epidural.  Todas mis amigas me preguntan si la epidural duele: yo siento que era tanto el desespero entre cada contracción que yo sentí alivio (y un poco de desespero porque no esperaba que se me adormeciera TANTO el cuerpo). 

At 7am there was shift change and my nurse forgot to tell Gabe he could come back to the room. The new nurse helped me change positions and finally let Gabe back in the room. She started checking the monitor and she noticed the contractions were coming stronger than ever. I told her I was 7cm 30 minutes ago, but she wanted to check again. Guess what? I was 10!! She called my midwife in and as soon as he arrived, everything turns into a little bit of a blur for me.  Within seconds, they took some part of the bed out, legs up, and READY TO PUSH!

**The funniest part was seeing my mom calling my dad. My dad gets very nervous in situations like this one. He thought he had at least 5 hours so he left the hospital to paint my bathroom. So you can imagine my mom leaving several voicemails telling him to come back asap!**

My first question to my midwife was "how am I supposed to push when everything is so numb"; he told me just to go for it!  And that's exactly what I did when the contractions came in. He kept joking saying that I have done this before because I was pushing like a pro (whatever being a pro at pushing means haha). Then I noticed Gabe was crying, and I just looked at him like ARE YOU OKAY!? And within a second, they put Nico in my chest- I couldn't believe it! We had a few minutes skin-to skin before they took him to a little table behind my bed where the nurses weighted him, measured him and let Gabe cut the umbilical cord. There he was, Nico was born on May 17th, 2018 at 6lbs 3 oz and 20.25 inches!


A las 7am hubo un cambio de turno para las enfermeras y nunca le dijeron a Gabe que podía volver a entrar al cuarto. La nueva enfermera, al chequear al monitor se dió cuenta que las contracciones estaban MUY seguidas y quiso chequearme otra vez. Yo le dije que hace media hora antes estaba en 7cm, pero a sorpresa de todos: YA ESTABA EN 10! ¡¡Inmediatamente llamó a mi doctor y apenas el llegó ya me estaba pidiendo que pujara!!

*un pequeño paréntesis. Mi papá se pone muy nervioso en situaciones como esta. Como todos esperábamos que todo iba a ser más lento, él se fue al apartamento a pintar mi baño. Se podrán imaginar a mi mamá llamándolo 100 veces y dejándole mensajes de voz que regresara YA!*

La primera pregunta que le hice al midwife fue "como se supone que sé cuando pujar si estoy tan adormecida"; su respuesta fue que me lo imaginara. Todavía no sé como lo hice, pero me dí cuenta que Nico nació cuando veo a Gabe llorando y yo estaba super confundida. En cuestión de microsegundos tenía a Nico en mi pecho (piel con piel como lo llaman aquí). Estuvimos un ratito juntos antes que se lo llevaran a una mesita al lado de mi cama donde las enfermeras lo pesaron, midieron, y dejaron que Gabe cortara el cordón umbilical por segunda vez.

Nico nació el 17 de mayo del 2018, pesando 2.800 kg y 51cm.

Then I noticed my midwife was very focused on me and I kept seeing towels and towels full of blood. Not going to lie, I got scared and asked him if everything was okay. There was some tearing and I was being stitched up. I don't know how long it took for the stitches but it felt like an eternity, especially because I wanted to be with my baby. Gabe even left with the baby and the nurses to have him cleaned up. They also did some tests and his blood sugar was low- nothing a bit of formula milk wouldn't fix.

As you can see, my labor was definitely short. Between been admitted and Nico being born, only 4.5 hours passed.  What I wasn't expecting was how painful the recovery would be. After recovering the feeling in my body, everything started to hurt: the stitches, the tailbone, my lower back where they put the epidural. I would take 3 minutes to get out of the bed, it would hurt to sit, stand, walk, go to the bathroom, everything. I wanted to be there for Nico and I felt frustrated I couldn't get him out of the crib when he cried or stand to change his diapers.  I'm so thankful I had my mom, my mother in law, and Gabe there to help.

We stayed at the hospital two nights. The nurses at the South Miami Hospital were absolutely amazing.  I feel like each one taught us something different; each one had their own way of doing things and we were just absorbing every bit of knowledge they were sharing.

I still can't believe he is all ours! When I got home, I started crying of happiness while holding him because I just couldn't believe it. The two days in the hospital felt like a dream and it felt real when we got home.  Every bit of pain is all worth it for him. What can I say? We LOVE YOU NICO!


Yo estaba tan pendiente de oír si Nico estaba bien que no me dí cuenta que el midwife seguía pendiente de mí. Luego vi toallas y toallas llenas de sangre y me preocupé. Me desgarré y estaban agarrando varios puntos. No se cuanto tiempo estuve ahí pero se sintió como una eternidad ya que yo solo quería estar con Nico y saber que todo estuviese bien. Yo le dije a Gabe que cuando se lo llevaran, fuera con las enfermeras- y así hizo. Lo bañaron, le hicieron varios exámenes, y por un momento causó pánico porque "se perdió"- hubo un malentendido por 2 minutos que hacen que Gabe casi se desmaye jaja.

Como pueden ver, todo fue realmente rápido. Pasaron solo 4-5 horas desde que llegué al hospital hasta que Nico nació. Pero algo que no me esperaba es lo doloroso que puede ser la recuperación. Cuando se fue el efecto de la anestesia, todo comenzó a doler: los puntos, el coxis, donde ponen la epidural, etc. Me tardaba 3 minutos en pararme de la cama y me dolía todo: sentarme, pararme,e ir al baño. No les miento, lo que más me dolía era sentir que no podía estar ahí para él cuando lloraba o para cambiarle su pañal.  Realmente agradezco mucho la ayuda de mi mamá, de Gabe, y de mi suegra.

¡Todavía no puedo creer que es NUESTRO! Después de 2 noches en la clínica, al llegar a la casa me guindé a llorar (de felicidad). Era como si todo lo del hospital hubiese sido un sueño . Y aunque todavía me estoy recuperando, todo vale la pena al verle la carita. ¿Qué más puedo decir? TE AMAMOS NICO!



  1. I'm not crying... nope... okay IM CRYING SO UGLY. THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL!

  2. Such an amazing story I legit LOLED when I read the ARE YOU OKAY part about Gabe crying. You guys are the cutest. Ever. Xo Courtney

  3. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing♥️ god bless your beautiful family♥️

  4. Hermoso poder leer tu maravillosa experiencia. Nico es hermoso, deseo para èl lo mejor que este mundo pueda ofrecer. ¡Muchas bendiciones!

  5. Nanyyy me hiciste llorar a mil. Felicitaciones! Mucho amor!

  6. Demasiado con too much este post! Ya quiero a bebé más que ustedes! <3

  7. What a beautiful story. Many blessings to your lovely little family 😍

  8. Llore llore llore,yo nunca leo blogs pero este me encanta! Felicidades!

  9. Que bello todo!!! Bienvenida a este mundo de la maternidad. Por cierto mejor si hubieses tenido sin anestecia porque cuando nace el bebé aún con desgarre sientes mss alivio! Pero para el próximo jajaja odio me digan para cuando el segundo así que no me hagas caso es broma. Dios los bendiga.

  10. Que historia tan hermosa. Nico es una cochita bellaaaaaa. El día que uno va a la maternidad pra el nacimiento de su bebé es un día lleno de emociones y recuerdos que nunca olvidaremos. Estoy super feliz por ustedes. Miles de bendiciones!!!

  11. Omgggg no sabes lo feliz que me hizo leer esto, gracias por compartir todo con nosotras. Me puso increíblemente emocional and I can only imagine how you guys were feeling. He’s so handsome!!! Lots of love ❤️❤️❤️

    P.S: que risa lo de tu papá!

  12. I was reading it like a book. You wrote it with so much passion and details, that I felt I was there with you. Congratulations. I wish all your family all the best <3

  13. What a beautiful story, you are so blessed! Congrats again!

    Cathy, your Poor Little It Girl

  14. Hay Dany! que bello POST! EL MAS BELLO DE TODOS. Estoy embarazada asi que me hace mucha ilucion este post!

    Me alegra mucho que apesar que fueron fuertes tus contacciones, no fueron muchas las horas y paso volando todo. Espero que te logres recuperar del posparto se que si. Las mujeres somos muy fuertes. Aunque no se que tan fuerte sea yo jajaja cuando me toque. Solo le pido a Dios que no sea muy largo y que todo vaya asi de rapdio como te fue a ti.

    Miles de bendiciones Dany!

  15. Que bello este post! ❤️ Me encantaría que escribieras uno contándonos sobre tu experiencia con la lactancia... Te dolió? O fue todo perfect?

  16. NOOO :') es tan normal ponerse tan emocional leyendo esto??? hhahaha
    fuiste fuerte y al final del dia lo mas bonitisimo fue nico. sooo cute!

  17. Lloré como jamás lo había hecho en mi vida. No sé pero me encantó la manera en la que compartiste tu historia. Fue simplemente hermoso. Les deseo un mundo de bendiciones y cositas maravillosas.

  18. Que belleza. Me encanta que relataras el momento con tanta naturalidad. Dios bendiga al precioso Nico y a tu familia, estoy muy feliz por ustedes!

  19. Felicidades Dany! Aun cuando no nos conocemos he seguido tus blogs desde el inicio y siento como si te conociera de verdad. Bienvenida a la maternidad y sus infinitas maneras de hacernos felices. Disfrutalo mucho!!!

  20. Gracias por compartir algo tan íntimo y hermoso. Me ha hecho llorar! Recién tuve mi primer bebé en diciembre y han aflorado recuerdos emocionantes. Bendiciones para la hermosa familia. Felicidades por la decisión de lactar(Gracias a su abuelo lo sé, soy seguidora de él en Instagram) no es nada fácil pero adelante, sé que podrás por el bien de Nico.

  21. Honestly, the recovering is why I don't take the epidural. I have to get a spinal (which is essentially the same thing) to get cerclages placed each pregnancy for my incompetent cervix and I'm out solid for two weeks each time. I can't imagine recovering from the spinal and from birth as well. My labors sound a lot like yours, if you got to 8 you got passed the worst of it. It might be worth considering for next time. Anyway, enjoy your baby and congrats! Take care of yourself, you did an excellent job :)